I would like to know a list of movies suitable for kids under five.
Here are some of my favorite movies for children under five. These are general recommendations; for kids under five you need to know your own kid. I recommend watching the movie ahead of time. Most of these have something or other that some sensitive children may have trouble with; I’ve noted a few obvious points below.
- My Neighbor Totoro (1982)
- WALL-E (2008)
- Bambi (1942) — tense scenes include the thunderstorm, the dogs and the fire, and of course the loss of Bambi’s mother.
- Fantasia (1940) — the “Rite of Spring” dinos may be too scary; definitely skip the “Bald Mountain” sequence for now.
- Babe (1995) — a few tense scenes of animal menace.
- Finding Nemo (2003) — watch out for the scary sharks.
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- Peter Pan (2000) — this is the Cathy Rigby stage version, not the Disney cartoon.
- The Story of the Weeping Camel (2003)
- Atlantis (1991) — an undersea documentary, not to be confused with the 2001 Disney film.
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1973)
Also highly recommended in non-feature viewing:
- “The World of Peter Rabbit & Friends” / “The Beatrix Potter Collection”
- Aardman stuff: “Wallace & Gromit: Three Amazing Adventures” and Shaun the Sheep (“Off the Baa,” “Back in the Ba-a-ath”)
Hope that helps.